+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Knives, new and old

You are far too young to play with knives................

This is a new collaboration between Zero Tolerance and Strider knives to replace standard bayonets............a bit Gucci BUT definitely a far higher standard and quality, hence should be far more robust and capable as a camp knife as well as baynet.

RRP is USD$324.95 but only a prat would pay this as most dealers will do them for USD$245-260.............

Strider Knives and Zero Tolerance put their heads together to bring the forces this new ZT-9 BAYONET. Any M4 / M16 style bayonet will accommodate this specialized item. Released now in a limited run this also is becoming a sought after addition to any Strider or ZT collection. The date of manufacture, s/n and both the Strider Logo and Zero Tolerance logo are on each knife.

Strider Knives Inc partner, Duane Dwyer, designed a special Bayonet sheath for this project.

Specifications
    Blade Length (to guard): 7 1/2 in
    Blade length (Cutting edge): 6 1/4 in
    Overall Length: 12 5/8 in
    Blade Steel: CPM S30V ~ Stone Washed
    Handle Material: Ranger Green G-10
    Weight: 19.6 ounces / 545 grams
    Weight (including sheath/rig: 26.3 ounces / 736 grams

Video showing the above knife and some other new ones from the Shot Show held end January this year...........

New-ish knife from SOG, a very popular maker with some Mil people. This one is made in Japan so quality should be very high, a bunch of their other stuff is now made in Taiwan and/or China and the quality varies enormously on occasion.........special editions still tend to be made in the USA..........SOG used to make most of their knives in Seki City, Japan much higher quality and far better steel usually...........

SOG X-Ray Vision XV-71

June 22nd, 2010 | Product Announcement | Posted by Stickman

The SOG X-Ray Vision XV-71 is a folding Tanto knife. Using VG-10 steel, a liner in its Zytel handles and incorporating the SOG Arc-Lock, it all sounds pretty good. Click the picture below for a walk-through of the knife, more info and, of course, lots more pictures.

We recently had a chance to spend some time with the guys from SOG, and aside from getting told about cool upcoming projects that we can’t talk about yet, we were able to get a few items to play around with. One of the things that makes the military and police different from many knife customers is that we use our knives in ways that others don’t. Prying, cutting, chopping, forcing locks, throwing, eating, digging, scraping and other uses that blade designers would cringe at are a matter of daily use for us. I talked to John Belniak about this, and it put a smile on his face. Evidently John likes to see equipment get used, and the concept of intentional abuse didn’t faze him in the least.

John asked if I would be interested in checking out the SOG X-Ray Vision XV-71, and wanted to make sure it would get used as a daily carry and duty knife. I’ve got no problem with that, especially as the blade I’ve been using was due for retirement.

First impressions of the SOG X-Ray Vision were good, in the below picture you can see the fully opened knife. While looks are subjective, it’s got clean lines and isn’t something you would be embarrassed to be seen with.

Starting with the front of the blade, the most obvious thing we see is that it is a Tanto-style blade. The tip is for puncturing, and comes to a wonderfully sharp point that is nicely reinforced.

Moving down the blade the serrations are obvious. Serrations seem pretty straight forward, but I’ve used plenty of knives that had small serrations that seemed to clog and were unimpressive in their cutting ability. No problems here: These are spaced nicely and went through climbing rope like it was nothing. I know there are guys who dislike serrations because they are harder to get sharpened. I don’t mind sharpening serrations; all it takes is a triangular stone. But these are currently sharp enough to make the hair pop off my arm, so breaking out stones won’t be something I need to worry about for awhile with this one.

The full bead blasted blade is shown here. The blade steel is VG-10, which gives an excellent overall blade. Durability, corrosion resistance, ability to both take and hold an edge are all good to go with VG-10. For guys who care about the actual make up, VG-10 is an upper-end stainless steel mixed with Vandium.

The handle is glass-reinforced black Zytel and is textured. From a personal point of view, I would like to see a heavier texture, but I understand that a more aggressive texture would make it more difficult to draw from a pocket, so there is a balancing point in texture that SOG seems to have reached. The handle has a lanyard hole, which is nice for guys who have lost their knives out in the field. I have large hands, and the handle feels good to me. Other guys with smaller hands have had no complaints either. The slim profile works well, and a larger configuration would also increase issues with it while sitting in your front pocket.

This knife uses the SOG ARC-LOCK. SOG states the ARC-LOCK is ambidextrous and gives enhanced strength and speed. While I have no way to test the strength of the ARC-LOCK, it locks into place securely and keeps the blade nice and tight when in an open position. I am able to test the speed of opening against several other blades. For a non-assist blade, this is rocket fast. One hand opening and closing is effortless. The ARC-LOCK works very well, and without a steep learning curve.

The reversible clip is a nice touch, especially if you are left handed. The SOG clip allows the knife to sit low in the pocket so you don’t end up with a chunk of knife sticking up for everyone to see. While its not an issue for duty use, there are places where you might not want a blade to be overly visible. SOG states very clearly on their website that they have an “Unconditional Pocket Clip Warranty”. I’ve broken clips before, as have other guys I know. It’s a little peace of mind to know that if your SOG gets broken, that they will take care of you.

The SOG X-Ray Vision XV-71 is a well-built knife with solid features, and a good blade. I’ll be carrying this as my primary duty knife, which is about as good as a recommendation as I can give for an item.

Full RRP is USD$170.00 but you're a right tit if you pay this much, you can get them for USD$114.95 from The Knife Center web dealership in the USA and they'll ship happily to Australia or anywhere else, I use them frequently............

The "Tanto" blade is very reminiscent of the Recondo's SOG made in the USA..................knives from my personal collection.......

RECONDO's, X42 (BG42) Ti-coated version and the S30V (polished) version............

Nice, really like SOG knives. Got one of their multitools and find it so much better than a leatherman imo.

Quite liked their Desert Dagger they made. When I first looked at it was around the AU$200 mark, but last time i checked it was nearly AU$600 . . . they making it out of platinum and diamonds now or something?!?

Anybody wants to buy knives who do not have the luxury of access to the US forces PX stores then PM me and I'll give you a list of USA and Aussie Dealers who'll give you a good deal.

This offer applies to members here ONLY.

The prices of SOG's vary according to where you get them. Buy them from any Aussie store apart from one or two I know and you'll get stiffed for at least a 40% mark-up, 10% Import Duty, and MORE.......generally from most of the stores you'll end up paying 100-250% above the comparative USA price, and that USA price includes shipping to here.

The only "problem" you have shipping into Oz occasionally is Customs RANDOM definition of what is or is not illegal or deemed a licence-only knife...........briefly double-edged weapons require a licence before you import, mostly I don't bother as they are not part of my collecting scene. Assisted Openers, Flippers and Automatic, spring-opening knives are generally classified as "Flick knives" when only the latter actually is..........licences required for all, on any import occasion. The alternative is to get a Prohibited Weapons licence which applies for multiple occasions BUT will require you to turn your house into a mini Fort Knox subject, quite correctly, to Police Inspection and review for acceptability, a process I start after my Alarm system is installed.

There are few limitations in either size or shape for Fixed Blade knives apart from the double-edged scenario defined above. Blade shape can be a problem for some SMALL knives such as the various designs by the former French Commando Fred Perrin which can be defined as Push Daggers, another specific design banned and only on limited, licence first, access to our shores.

Perrin's designs can be accepted or classified as Push Daggers, which they are NOT, on the whim of the specific Customs Officer that reviews the shipment contents. I've had four Custom La Griffes checked, passed and accepted by Customs and a collaborative design with Emerson confiscated as a "Push Dagger". I then got the same knife through one of the good Aussie dealers without him suffering any Customs intereference.............it doesn't make sense nor is it consistent, and just displays Customs lack of knowledge and ignorance about which designs should apply and which should not.

Older report I forgot to post earlier..........great steel & design............

Spartan Blades Wins Collaboration of Year at Blade Show

June 9th, 2010

The Spartan – Harsey Model 1, a collaboration between Mr. William Harsey Jr and Spartan Blades won this year’s Blade Show Collaboration of the Year Award. According to Spartan Blades President, Curtis Iovito, “Bill is one of the first people we went to when we formed Spartan Blades not to do a collaboration but, to ask for advice on the knife industry. We quickly formed a friendship with Bill long before even considering a collaboration.” Obviously, the great relationship they developed shows through on this design. An important aspect of the project was that both Spartan Blades and Bill would put hands on each knife. To do this, Spartan Blades uses CNC technology to profile the knife, radius the handle area, and to create the handles based on Bill’s design. Once those operations are complete, they send them to Bill so that he can grind the knives by hand. Then they go back to Spartan Blades for heat treat, coat, and laser etching on the blades.

Specifications:

Knife Name: Spartan – Harsey Model 1
    Designer(s): William Harsey
    Overall Length: 13 1/4″
    Blade Length: 7 5/8”
    Blade Thickness: 3/16”
    Blade Steel: CPM S30V
    Blade Hardness: 58-59 HRC
    Blade Style: Fixed Drop Point— The blade has a flat ground main bevel with a 10″ hollow ground top edge.
    Coating: Flat Dark Earth (FDE) Spartacoat PVD ZrN
    Handle Material: Black CE Canvas Micarta®
    Sheath: Black Kydex with Belt Drop Loop
    Weight: 0.862 LBS

Strider Update

July 15th, 2010

During Blade Show several knife manufacturers provided us knives for hands-on reviews and evaluations – one of those knife manufacturers was Strider Knives and here is our hands-on evaluation.

We had the pleasure of speaking with Duane Dwyer personally during Blade Show and as usual Duane was extremely helpful. His knowledge and understanding of Blade grinds and metals is incredible and he has been known to spend an enormous amount of time picking the brains of those who know while using the new found knowledge to improve the quality of Strider Knives.

We also listened to Duane as he addresses a group of well known manufacturers and suppliers where he discussed future plans and introduced Dick Marcinko. Dick has been working closely with Duane lately and attends Blade Show, and SHOT Show with Strider Knives.

We feel extremely privileged to have had the opportunity to spend time putting these knives through real world tests and with that in mind, put them through the same paces that a normal person in the field might encounter.

As we’ve mentioned in previous posts, knives are a personal choice and will often be misused and abused – we’ll let you decide when and where to do that. While some choose not to carry a knife, others choose to do so and a few choose to carry several knives.

The SNG and RW-1 folders as well as the GW/AR fixed blades are fantastic tools/knives. They are robust and easy to use while having a form and fit that makes them extremely comfortable when put to the test in a variety of daily tasks.

Over the course of the past few weeks, these knives have been used to cut hoses, scrape obstructions from doors, cut or strip wires, dig holes, cut branches for fires, to hack through green-foliage in our way as we trekked through swampland, used to cut vegetables and meat for meals as well as clothing and seat harness/straps, weapon slings, and a plethora of other items which might conceivably be found in the daily activity of most anybody in the field that needed to be cut or removed.

Training and real world ops should never be separated, how does it go? You will Fight like you Train. Thus, we actively promote dressing and equipping yourself during training exactly as you would when going into battle or on an Operation/Mission. This allowed us to conduct our various evaluations although in a training environment, as closely simulating real world events as possible.

As expected all of the knives we exercised were every bit the hard use knife Strider is known for and more if you want this writer’s opinion – there was nothing we put them through that they were not capable of delivering, if not exceeding each and every time.

Whether it was hacking, chopping, slicing, cutting, hammering, prying or dicing these knives came through with flying colors because let’s face it, hammering with the butt end of a fixed blade or the side of a folder is a common occurrence and the (ab)use of knives when in the field, includes being used to pry things open; from wooden ammo crates to opening MRE cases and mail as well as prying open doors and other obstacles faced by Soldiers everyday in the field.

It has been my experience that if you give a Soldier a shovel and tell him to dig he will, and if you give him a knife and tell him to dig, he will. So it goes that if you give him a knife and just let him go about his business, eventually he will dig with it, even if it’s only a shallow hole to identify the solid object under his foot. So it’s important that whenever you run a knife through its paces, you dig with it or use it in the shaping of a hole in some fashion or another.

The Strider Knives we carried and evaluated demonstrated time and again why Duane has spent the time and effort he has and has gone to such lengths to learn as much about metals and grinds as well as how water and other atmospheric conditions effect metals and what metal characteristics and combinations deliver the best results for the knives’ intended purpose. It’s apparent in every facet of every Strider Knife this writer ever seen or used that these knives are built to deliver.

An additional topic Duane discussed with us was the several NSN items available direct through Strider Knives – for more info or a listing of NSN products, contact Strider Knives. www.striderknives.com

We can’t thank Strider Knives enough for the unique opportunity to push their knives to the edge, and for allowing us this opportunity to review/evaluate these knives and share our results with you. We heard a rumor that Strider might be unveiling a new knife at the Warrior Expo this week in Va Beach so visit them at Booth #121 to see if it’s true.

– Stay Tuned & Stay Sharp

Not cheap knives but high quality generally.................the SNG's are USD$400 and the RW-1 $500............the GW/AR-S fixed blade, the smaller of the fixed blades is $325.00............
    Last edited by buglerbilly; 15-07-10 at 10:16 AM.

Benchmade Hook Knife

August 26th, 2010

Based on a need for a safety hook that would facilitate the remote removal of hazardous items like a S-Vest, or to remotely open a suspicious item such as an IED within a backpack, Zero Point turned to Benchmade. They created the specialized hook knife below. As you can see, it is unlike any other hook knife on the market. Its long length allows it to be inserted into narrow openings and the ridges along to back assist with grip and indexing. Since its inception Zero Point has included this tool in most of their kits.

While the knife was initially intended as an EOD tool, it has recently been released for general sales and adopted by LE, medical professionals, and sports medicine due to its unique size and design. If you are looking for a hook knife that does more than just cut cord and webbing, then this is the one for you.

You should be able to pick these up for around USD$ 25.50..........its an adaptation of the existing Benchmade 8 Rescue Hook Strap Cutter............

If you are looking for the best EOD kits out there, then check out Zero Point.

http://www.zeropointusa.com/

+ Reply to Thread