+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 38
1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Indian Navy matters

Indian Navy matters

Indian Navy Issues Requirement for SMILES

(Source: Forecast International; issued July 7, 2010)

NEW DELHI - The Indian Navy has issued a Request for Information (RFI) to vendors and manufacturers of Submarine Mine Laying Equipment (SMILE) to augment the existing capabilities of its diesel-electric submarine fleet.

The RFI indicates that the SMILE should be a blister system capable of laying 24 ground mines and withstanding the maximum underwater speeds of the submarine. Each system should have a glass-reinforced plastic casing designed to fit the contours of the submarine. Each system should also have an independent hydraulic station for engaging and disengaging the SMILE with the submarine and also for loading, unloading and launching of mines. It should have adequate ballasting and de-ballasting arrangements to embark and disembark the SMILE equipment while the submarine is alongside. A service life of 15 years is mandated.

Indications are that India will require at least 16 systems to equip the submarines in the nation's fleet. The platforms include the Russian-supplied Project 877 and the French-designed Scorpene. The different hull contours of the two designs suggest that the SMILE order will be split into two subtypes.

-ends-

Indian Navy to get new helicopters

Published: Sunday, Aug 8, 2010, 0:30 IST

By Suman Sharma | Place: New Delhi | Agency: DNA

The Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) has cleared the purchase of 56 naval light utility helicopters, which will cost nearly Rs7,000 crore. These state-of the-art helicopters will replace the existing Chetaks in service.

The Indian Navy requires a twin-engine helicopter of modern airframe design and fully integrated advanced avionics to replace its aging fleet of Chetaks, which were inducted over 30 years ago.

With the DAC clearing the helicopter purchase deal, tenders will formally be floated within the next few months.

The likely contenders to get the RFP (request for proposal), or tenders, are the European consortium EADS for its Eurocopter, the Anglo-Italian Agusta Westland. Russia’s Rosoboronexport for Kamovs, and the American giants, Bell, and Sikorsky.

According to the RFP, the Navy wants choppers with twin controls for both pilots, but at the same time it should be capable of being operated by a single pilot also. The other requirements are the ability to carry out anti-submarine warfare operations with torpedoes and depth charges, besides being suitable for anti-piracy and anti-terrorism roles.

Being able to operate both during day and night, the helicopters will also have the capability to operate in adverse weather conditions, both from shore and off-shore, and from small decks and large decks like that of an aircraft carrier.

India's Defense Minister Warns of Scorpene Delays

By VIVEK RAGHUVANSHI

Published: 18 Aug 2010 15:23

NEW DELHI - Delays in the delivery of French-designed Scorpene submarines being built in India will have an impact on the Indian Navy's planned underwater force level, Defence Minister A.K. Antony told parliament Aug. 18.

Antony warned the parliament last year that delays were expected "on account of some teething problems, absorption of technology and delays in augmentation of industrial infrastructure and procurement ... purchased materials" by Mazagon Docks, the Indian shipyard that is building the Scorpenes under license from France. "Delay in the scheduled delivery of submarines is likely to have an impact on the envisaged submarine force levels."

Under the $3.9 billion contract signed in 2005 between India and France for the licensed production of six Scorpenes, construction of the first, second and third submarines commenced in December 2006, December 2007 and August 2008, respectively. The contract calls for the first submarine to be delivered in December 2012 and one each year thereafter through 2017.

Meanwhile, the Indian government has sanctioned another $1 billion for the Scorpene project, increasing the total cost to more than $5 billion.

It is feared that the Indian Navy's submarine fleet could shrink to just five by 2014-15 if no replacements or additions are made, sources have said. The force could be left with only nine of its present 16 diesel-electric submarines - 10 Russian-made Kilo-class, four German-made HDWs and two virtually obsolete Foxtrots - by 2012.

The Indian Navy hopes to buy six more submarines from foreign builders at a cost of more than $11 billion, but since production wouldn't begin until the procurement program is completed in three to four years, it could be six to seven years until the Navy receives the sub, a senior service official said.

Antony said the government constantly reviews the security environment so it can judge what new equipment is needed to protect India's maritime interests.

Construction of the Scorpenes is underway at Mazagon Docks in Mumbai. Existing Navy subs also are being upgraded with state-of-the-art weapons and sensors, Antony added.

Quote Originally Posted by buglerbilly View Post
    India's Defense Minister Warns of Scorpene Delays
    The Indian Navy hopes to buy six more submarines from foreign builders at a cost of more than $11 billion, but since production wouldn't begin until the procurement program is completed in three to four years, it could be six to seven years until the Navy receives the sub, a senior service official said.
    Well now,thee to four years for the procurement program to be completed,[not construction] this could be some kind of Indian World Record if it actually happens. I wish I had kept some kind of record of the number of Indian procurement programs that are currently on the go to see how many actually get completed within 10 years.
    Tiddles

It wouldn't be a world record, it would be a miracle!!!

It wouldn't be a world record, it would be a miracle!!!
    Absolutely right, more chance of Glenn Miller finally arriving safe in Paris than this happening.
    Tiddles

India Leases Russian Sub That Had Fatal Accident

By NABI ABDULLAEV

Published: 20 Aug 2010 14:49

MOSCOW - Russia has handed over a new nuclear-powered submarine to India under a 10-year lease, two years after a fire on the vessel during its first sea trials killed 20 Russian seamen and engineers, Russian news agencies reported Aug. 20, citing sources in the defense industry.

"All necessary documents were signed and the submarine led by the Indian crew departed toward one of the Indian naval bases," a source told the official RIA Novosti news agency.

Construction of the third-generation Project 971 Nerpa attack submarine (NATO codename Akula class) was started in 1993 at the Amur Shipbuilding Enterprise, Komsomolsk-on-Amur. But its sea trials began only in November 2008 because of poor funding of the construction. The submarine's fire-extinguishing system went off unexpectedly during the trials, and 20 people on board died of asphyxiation from freon gas.

After repairs, Nerpa was commissioned by the Russian Navy in December 2009.

This is only the second time that Russia has leased a nuclear submarine to a foreign country - again to India, its long-time strategic ally. In 1988, the Soviet Union leased to New Delhi a Project 670 submarine for three years.

Indian media have reported that the lease of the Nerpa cost $650 million. The Russian Defense Ministry would not comment on the issue.

With a crew of 73 and capable of reaching a speed of 30 knots, Nerpa is one of the world's quietest submarines. It can carry cruise missiles equipped with nuclear warheads, dive to 600 meters and operate at sea for up to 100 days.

Since 1984, two Russian shipyards - Komsomolsk-on-Amur-based Amur Shipbuilding Enterprise and Severodvinsk-based Sevmash - have built 15 such submarines, all of them still in service in the Russian Navy's Pacific Fleet and Northern Fleet.

Meanwhile, St. Petersburg-based Admiralteiskiye Verfi shipyard announced Aug. 20 that it has begun building a Project 636.3 (NATO classification Kilo class) diesel-electric submarine for the Russian Navy's Black Sea Fleet.

The shipyard's general director, Vladimir Alexandrov, told RIA Novosti Aug. 20 that work on the new submarine, called Novorossiisk, will be completed in 2013, and two more similar submarines to be built by the shipyard are expected to be delivered to the navy in 2014.

Admiralteiskiye Verfi said in a statement on its website Aug. 20 that Novorossiisk will be the first Project 636 submarine to be built for the Russian Navy. Previously, all such submarines built by the shipyard since 1983 were sold abroad.

A Project 636 submarine can reach a speed of up to 19 knots, dive to 300 meters and carry a crew of 52.

Admiralteiskiye Verfi, part of the state-controlled United Shipbuilding Corp., has built more than 300 submarines, including 41 nuclear ones.

Same old, same old.

Didn't the Charlie class they leased have a similar tale of woe attached?

I recall some suggestion that it had sunk in a mishap, been raised, refurbished and then leased to the IN.

Nothing surprises me any more in the relation between those two countries.

India reminds me of the loyal wife who is regularly abused by the drunken husband.

Unicorn
    Unicorn

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
    It is by the juice of sapho that thoughts acquire speed,
    the lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning.

India reminds me of the loyal wife who is regularly abused by the drunken husband.
    Ass-fucked is the expression you were so resolutely trying to steer away from...............

Ass-fucked is the expression you were so resolutely trying to steer away from...............
    I was attempting to maintain the decorum and tone of the thread, confident that you were there to add your 'unique' take on the situation

Unicorn
    Unicorn

It is by the juice of sapho that thoughts acquire speed,
    the lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning.

+ Reply to Thread