+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 47
1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: M16, M4, HK416 et al................

M16, M4, HK416 et al................

Bravo Company Gunfighter Charging Handle

January 13th, 2010 | Posted by Stickman

Bravo Company MFG (BCM) has released its new “Gunfighter” Charging Handle (CH) for the M16/ M4/ AR15 platform. After spending the past six weeks with it, thousands of round down range, dry fire drills, and teaching a carbine course with it, we’ve found a few things we like.

Bravo Company MFG President Paul Buffoni set out to develop a fix for a weak link in the M16 family, and that weak link is a tiny roll pin that you use every time you charge your weapon.

Modern training doctrine has most of us working the charging handle with our support hand while the primary hand stays on the pistol grip of the weapon. Initially, the weapon was designed for the shooter to grasp the charging handle with their firing hand, and to pull directly to the rear. This straight back method reduced the stress on the charging handle roll pin, but takes us out of a firing position.

Most troops (MIL or LEO) are using the flat of their support hand, or side of their index finger off their support hand to pull back on the charging handle while pushing forward with their firing hand on the pistol grip. This creates a very positive action for loading or clearing malfunction clearances. The down side is increased wear on the charging handle, with most of the charging handle roll pin taking the brunt of the abuse.

Bravo Company MFG teamed up with Vltor Weapon Systems to develop and manufacturer a unit that would create a stronger charging handle which would take the stress off the roll pin and redistribute it throughout the latch and body. Secondly, the latch was designed to keep the force inside the latch to prevent lateral pressure on the charging handle and receiver, resulting in smoother overall operation.

It sounds good in concept, but when it came to execution, Vltor went above and beyond with their typical attention to detail. The Bravo Company MFG “Gunfighter” Charging Handle is CNC machined from 7075 T6 billet aluminum, and hard coat anodized per Mil-A-8625F, Type III, Class 2. It looks like a piece of combat art when compared to its cheaper siblings.

I recently taught a 3 day carbine course, in which the other instructor and myself were using the BCM Gunfighter. Typical Pacific NorthWest weather prevailed, it was in the 40s, and raining most of the time. While higher quality, and increased strength are the main selling points, I found the wider latch with its aggressive texture to immediately noticeable. Even with cold, wet, numb fingers, I had no problem manipulating the charging handle. My training weapon was used by most of the students at one time or another during the training evolution, and was appreciated by all. At the end of the course there was no sign of wear on the ejection port side of the BCM Gunfighter as one would expect from a standard charging handle that had been used and abused, including being mortared several times while using spent casings for malfunction drills, several thousand rounds of live fire, and loads of dry fire drills.

The BCM Gunfighter is available in two sizes. The GFH-MOD3 is the large latch for scoped applications, and the GFH-MOD4 is the standard size that I’ve been working with.

In the below pictures you can see close ups of the BCM Gunfighter. What can’t be shown is the solid feel in your hand. With a street price of $44.95, this is a piece of equipment which has found its way onto my duty carbine, and onto my list of recommended equipment.

Take a look at www.bravocompanymfg.com for more intel as well as ordering information.

Troy gets a grip

February 17th, 2010 | Product Announcement | Posted by Stickman

Troy Industries has come up with a new concept in grips for the AR15/M16 family of weapons, the Troy Battle Ax CQB Grip. While most others seem to be concentrating on larger grips, Troy went the opposite direction. While talking at SHOT, Steve Troy said the idea behind the smaller grip was to create a method of enabling a higher hand hold and getting the trigger finger better positioned. This polymer grip is textured and fits the M4/AR15/M16 and FN SCAR weapon platforms. The price on the grip is $19.95.

S.T.A.B – Spike’s Tactical Adjustable Break

March 16th, 2010 | Photo Recon Product Preview | Posted by Stickman

Spike’s Tactical has released a muzzle device with an interesting twist.

The S.T.A.B. (Spike’s Tactical Muzzle Break) is designed to direct the muzzle blast forward on short barreled carbines.

The idea of firing a short barreled weapon indoors or from inside vehicles can be painful, with a muzzle device that directs the blast forward, your team mates will thank you, and so will your eardrums. One of the drawbacks to shorter barrels is that they often can be more finicky with ammunition. The S.T.A.B. creates back pressure to aid in reliability. What makes this device stand out from others is the ability to adjust the interior cone position, which creates more or less back pressure, and can adjust your rate of fire. Spike’s Tactical CEO, Tom Miller says that every 16 clicks increases or decreases the rate of fire by 14 RPM. With a feature like this, you should be able to dial in whatever ammo you happen to favor.

From Spike’s Tactical:

The Spike’s Tactical Adjustable Break is an Adjustable muzzle break designed to be used in a short barrel CQB application. It directs the blast down range! The most common problem with short barrels is the lack of back pressure they need to cycle. You can adjust the back pressure up or down until you find that “sweet spot” your 7″-10″ upper needs to cycle properly.

•Machined from 303 stainless steel while the cone of the The S.T.A.B is machined from an ULTRA high temp proprietary alloy
    •Adjustable by hand with no tools
    •Can be broken down for cleaning with no tools
    •Spring loaded collar on the The S.T.A.B is wavy to achieve firm adjustment clicks
    •In testing every 16 clicks decreased the rate of fire by 14 RPM.
    •We have put thousands and thousands of rounds through the S.T.A.B. and have yet been able to burn one up!
    •Coated inside and out (except for the cone) with Melonite for corrosion resistance and durability
    •Size – OD is 1.37
    •OAL is 3.14
    •Weight is 10 Oz. or 284 Grams
    •Made in the USA

Army Secretary Sees New Carbine to Replace M4

March 31, 2010|Christian Lowe

Kit Up spoke with Army Secretary John McHugh this morning at a round table interview with top defense scribes in DC.
    I pinged him on the glacial pace of the improved carbine program (the replacement or redesign of the M4) and he seemed to indicate that while he sees the program as proceeding apace -- given the requirements and bureaucratic hurdles with such a massive change -- the end result will be a "replacement" of the M4, not just a revamped version, say, with a gas piston operating system or tweaked components.

We have a two part plan to over time replace the M4 with the next variant, whatever that may be. ... We are working the requirements for a [request for proposals] for an eventual replacement of the M4 and a new generation of personal carbine.

Now, you'll remember that my friend Matt Cox over at Army Times got his hands on a briefing slide circulated by PEO Soldier Brig. Gen. Pete Fuller on the Hill showing the near-term improvements the service planned to make to the M4, including a heavier barrel, improved trigger pull, a gas piston system and ambidextrous controls.

A lot of gun watchers think this is a straw man that the Army will erect to impede the fielding of a real replacement for the M4 -- that there's a large institutional pull in the service to wait until that "leap ahead" technology presents itself for a full-on replacement of the standard-issue carbine. I did sense some frustration with PM-level officials that this requirements process was getting bogged down (particularly on the subcompact weapon) and that some folks were impeding the process.

Not so, says McHugh:

It is our intent to field a new personal carbine and to do regular order. I am not at the point right now to suggest that we are not moving in a timely manner.
    But McHugh did spin the familiar Army line of "I haven't heard any Soldiers criticizing the M4" -- which one must have to take with a grain of salt, particularly when speaking to troops in Afghanistan. Of the Joes I've spoken to on this issue, the "hate the M4" crowd outnumbers the "It's fine" crowd 3-to-1.

But, at the end of the day, it's clear the McHugh sees a whole new weapon coming down the pike...SCAR?...He doesn't say:

We feel it's a good weapon, we understand that time moves on and we want to upgrade and develop a new one and that's going forward, from my perspective, in due course.

Battle of the Battle Rifle Grips: Grauer IGRS

by christian on April 28, 2010 ·

When Ward and I attended the ITI tactical shooting course a few weeks ago, instructor Brandon Wright, taught us a new way to grip the rifle with our support hand by canting our wrists and throwing the thumb over the barrel. That’s great when you’re using a forward grip like the Magpul Angled Fore Grip, but as we reported in March, some people like to use (and teach) the “horizontal hold” using the magazine well with grip support. EMA Tactical developed a couple solutions to this technique, and we just ran across another innovative look at how to better stabilize your battle rifle using the magwell for a grip.

The Grauer Integrated Grip Rail System takes the EMA product a step further by basically taking over the magwell entirely. The beefy grip is designed to:

“make it easier to maneuver and control the weapon when holding with just the non-shooting hand … [and] also further enhances the traditional ‘horizontal hold’ by providing a more ergonomic way to apply rearward pressure for better weapon control.

So, whether shooting while standing, prone, over a barrier or around a doorway, whether maneuvering through tight spaces or on patrol, the IGRS is the ultimate weapon enhancement platform for the warfighter.

The other thing the new IGRS has it a so-called “flared magazine funnel” which aids in quicker reloads. The grip also has “internal wire routing” that allows the operator to integrate light and laser optic switches directly into the grip.

It’s a big piece of gear (Grauer recommends a trained dealer install it for you) and at $499, it’s also pretty Gucci on price. But with the battle over battle rifle grips taking shape, solutions like this are surely going to vy for the vert grip supremacy.

Read more: http://kitup.military.com/2010/04/ba...#ixzz0nMZ7bVwB

Get Your Paint Out! Army Issues Guidance for Rifle Camo

by christian on May 16, 2010

After almost nine years of constant combat in environments from the urban warrens of Baghdad to the lush river valleys of Afghanistan, the Army has issued official guidance on how Soldiers in regular line units can use paint to camouflage their weapons, joining special operations forces who have been camouflaging their weapons for years.

With all the back and forth over whether the universal camouflage pattern, MultiCam or UCP-Delta uniforms and gear were best for the varied terrain of Afghanistan, many experts cited the solid black battle rifle as one of the deadest giveaways when trying to remain hidden from enemy eyes.

Kit Up! obtained an primer in how to camo your weapon, but the Army has one big caveat:

“Before painting your weapon it is important to keep several things in mind. First and foremost is to ensure that you have proper authorization from your superior to paint your weapon…[and] have a plan for how you want your camouflage to look. Painting a weapon is not about personalization but increasing its tactical capabilities without impairing its ability to function.”

The Army also says you’re going to have to strip that paint – they give official GSA stock numbers for the type of spray paint to use – before you turn it back into the armory at the end of your deployment.

Read more: http://kitup.military.com/#ixzz0o9byzrT8

There's a picture of a few painted F88s and M4s in the latest Army rag that use a new waterbased paint. I'm not one for technology, so I can't post the photo, but you can see it on the defence website.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven22 View Post
    There's a picture of a few painted F88s and M4s in the latest Army rag that use a new waterbased paint. I'm not one for technology, so I can't post the photo, but you can see it on the defence website.
    The print screen button on your keyboard will capture just about everything you see on your screen from time to time:

But with the new tan F88s the camo might not be so needed. They blend a lot better than the old green and black. Though a few rabbit ears in brown and green might help disrupt them some more.

They even tanned the bit of the barrel that goes inside the receiver!

Just a shame about those non camouflaged helmets and DMO not being able to organise a cover. Its not as if the head isn't the most important part of a soldier needing disruption or that UV light will destroy the strength of the outer layer of Kevlar. But then again the US Army just recalled all their Rabintex helmets so we might have bigger problems on our hands - or heads - we just don't know about it yet...

Thales isn't making tan F89s, SR-98s, NFE etc, so the paint is still handy. The tan colour isn't the be all and end all anyway - its sticks out like dogs balls in the jungle.

Just a shame about those non camouflaged helmets and DMO not being able to organise a cover.
    The covers are a pain in the ass anyway - they get caught on everything. I just paint my helmet and damn the RSM if he doesn't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven22 View Post
    The covers are a pain in the ass anyway - they get caught on everything. I just paint my helmet and damn the RSM if he doesn't like it.
    The helmets should be painted with a UV resistant coating - in disruption pattern of course - before they get issued. UV degradation of Kevlar is a serious issue, especially in high near UV light regions like Australia and the MEAO.

+ Reply to Thread