+ Reply to Thread

Thread: US drops its largest non-nuclear bomb on IS

US drops its largest non-nuclear bomb on IS

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=au

The US military dropped one of the largest non-nuclear bombs in its arsenal Thursday on an Islamic State tunnel-and-cave complex in eastern Afghanistan, the Pentagon said.

A US plane dropped the nearly 22,000-pound Massive Ordnance Air Blast bomb — nicknamed the Mother of All Bombs — just a few days after an American Special Forces soldier was killed during a joint US-Afghan offensive against dug-in Islamic State positions in the same area.

“We have been waiting months to use it,” said an allied official in Afghanistan. “I think the loss of our soldier helped motivate leaders to approve it.”

The bomb is a precision-guided “smart bomb” designed to cause maximum damage to bunkers, tunnels and other areas that can typically withstand even large standard bombs or artillery strikes.
    Repent!

The darkest hour of Humanity is upon us. The world
    shall meet it's end and we shall be submerged into a
    new dark age. Repent your sins, for the apocalypse,
    and the end, is extremely f@#king nigh!

There is a lot of rubbish talked about this bomb by lazy journalistsI saw one report saying it weighed 22,000 lbs and contained 11 tonnes of explosive !!
    Wiki says that it contains 8.5 tons of H^ equivalent to 11 tons of TNT and weighs 22,000llbs other reports say it weighs 27,000llb
    If it designed to penetrate it must have a heavy casing it would be nice to know the truth ?

Meanwhile the short arsed willy waver has this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRoCPrZYHD8

I'm curious if the cost per kill works out wrt other options - there's been a bunch of talk re cost though I suspect it probably compares favorably.

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoat View Post
    There is a lot of rubbish talked about this bomb by lazy journalistsI saw one report saying it weighed 22,000 lbs and contained 11 tonnes of explosive !!
    Wiki says that it contains 8.5 tons of H^ equivalent to 11 tons of TNT and weighs 22,000llbs other reports say it weighs 27,000llb
    If it designed to penetrate it must have a heavy casing it would be nice to know the truth ?

The MOAB isn't a penetrator bomb, it is an over-pressure air-bursting weapon. It weighs 10.3t in total which when converted is where the journos get their 21,000lbs from. It carries a total of 18,700lbs of H6 - a mix of RDX, TNT and aluminium. The rest is casing (it is 30 feet long afterall...) fins and guidance systems / parachutes etc.
    In a low speed post-merge manoeuvring fight, with a high off-boresight 4th generation missile and Helmet Mounted Display, the Super Hornet will be a very difficult opponent for any current Russian fighter, even the Su-27/30

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoat View Post

My favorite comment was this...

Pffffff! Call me when they make the "SCTROAB" Second Cousin Twice Removed Of All Bombs! Then, and only then, will I be impressed. Fucking amateurs!
    p.s. I am oddly inspired to play Red Alert again.
    Repent!

The darkest hour of Humanity is upon us. The world
    shall meet it's end and we shall be submerged into a
    new dark age. Repent your sins, for the apocalypse,
    and the end, is extremely f@#king nigh!

Quote Originally Posted by ADMk2 View Post
    The MOAB isn't a penetrator bomb, it is an over-pressure air-bursting weapon
    The hint is in the acronym....

oh wait, they bought the backronym....

+ Reply to Thread