+ Reply to Thread
Page 89 of 89
FirstFirst ... 39 79 87 88 89

Thread: Artillery in the 21st Century

The long and the short of it, I would say YES, most definitely.............the US Army wants this NOW not later.

Quote Originally Posted by buglerbilly View Post
    The long and the short of it, I would say YES, most definitely.............the US Army wants this NOW not later.
    You are assuming CASG can actually get their shit together in time and present a viable proposal to Government to sign off on? I suspect Israel will be closely monitoring Army's requirements in this instance with LORA etc likely to meet Army's basic needs...
    In a low speed post-merge manoeuvring fight, with a high off-boresight 4th generation missile and Helmet Mounted Display, the Super Hornet will be a very difficult opponent for any current Russian fighter, even the Su-27/30

Quote Originally Posted by ADMk2 View Post
    You are assuming CASG can actually get their shit together in time and present a viable proposal to Government to sign off on? I suspect Israel will be closely monitoring Army's requirements in this instance with LORA etc likely to meet Army's basic needs...
    I know, I keep on measuring things by how they should proceed, and not by the reality of how they usually proceed..................the Israeli EXTRA system is nothing to be sniffed at.
    Last edited by buglerbilly; 17-03-17 at 01:21 AM.

Rockwell awarded DACAS agreement

16th March 2017 - 15:30

by The Shephard News Team

Rockwell Collins has received a Digitally Aided Close Air Support (DACAS) agreement from the US Defense Innovation Unit Experimental, the company announced on 14 March.

The agreement will see Rockwell Collins provide the Department of Defense (DoD) with an open source aggregation framework to enable cross-platform data link communications on mobile devices for Windows and Android, giving software engineers the ability to quickly develop and integrate modules that can communicate with close air support platforms and call for fire artillery platforms.

The framework will enhance the military's ability to coordinate and execute air support, call for fire and enhance situational awareness for troops on the ground. In addition to Link 16, phase one of the work will focus on the Variable Message Format and Cursor On Target message formats.

The new solution will be used by all US government agencies.

Brad Haselhorst, vice president of business development, government systems for Rockwell Collins, said: 'By using a commercial open source model, the entire DoD will gain synergies in quality, customisability and elimination of 'from scratch' development - thus reducing costs and increasing interoperability.

'Moving in this direction will allow warfighters to communicate more efficiently and quickly, thereby enhancing safety.'

+ Reply to Thread