+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 22
FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22

Thread: OPV's and other such

ADMk2
    Problem with this is, RAN are looking at a bit more than that list. They are definitely looking at a hangar. They are definitely looking at a genuine naval combat system, (SAAB's 9LVS would have to be a shoe in) an EW system and (likely) a medium calibre gun up front with a canon or two / mini-typhoon anti-surface package at the rear.

If they go that far they will be considering an OPV 90 class vessel...
    This would be a turn up. The early buzz on this program seemed to be all about hosing down expectations. While the fitout you suggest could probably be accommodated on an 80 metre hull, it would be a very clever and well armed 80 metre OPV. Going up a size is almost a return to the cancelled 1990s Offshore Combatant class. Perhaps an RAN strategy of making hay while the political sun shines. How they would crew 12 of these is another question.

SEA 1180 – The Contenders

Further to:

Damen
    “the design being offered uses innovative technology to improve seakeeping, reduce running costs and decrease whole of life sustainment costs.”

This would seem to indicate that they are offering a version with their Sea Axe bow that has recently been their successful tender for the South African Navy. Current inferences are that the RAN is very comfortable in their relationship with Damen via purchases of tugs, submarine support tenders and the leased aviation training vessel through Serco.

They are teamed with the ASC Forgacs (Civmec) consortium. This gives at least the illusion of finessing the two-State split build. If they are successful we will just have to wear the fact that these will be 12 of the most expensive 85 metre* OPVs Damen have ever seen built.

* I honestly can’t see the program going above 85 metres/1800t. IMHO the fact that all the larger in-service designs were eliminated in the down select would then make the current shortlist a little puzzling. Crewing numbers seem to be a big issue for the RAN. So much so that their SEA 5000 guidelines stipulate that the Future Frigate (> 6000 tons) crewing requirements should match as closely as possible those of the ANZAC class. Twelve larger OPVs x 60-70 crew (or more) is a lot to find, and retain, considering the Armidales operate with about 23, or 46 with a blue/gold arrangement.

A scalable CMS/ISR fitout with the 57mm (aka Mk 110) as main armament (for its flexibility, large user base and leveraged development) and a couple of ex-Armidale 25mm Typhoons astern would be a good foundation kit for an OPV 1800.

As a brick through a plate glass window
    Unicorn

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
    It is by the juice of sapho that thoughts acquire speed,
    the lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning.
    It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

I think the message here is:

You know us. Boat in the water, on time, on budget (the Vietnamese can do that). We do this all the time, really, it's not a problem.

We are Damen and we are here to help you with this.

+ Reply to Thread