+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8
1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: First-response ParaMed equipment

First-response ParaMed equipment

New thread, specific to interesting gear for Paramedic use in the Field.................first up, new adaptations to the cutting shears.....

Rip Shears

March 28th, 2011

Rip Shears are a new attachment for standard EMT shears that transforms them into a tool that combines the shears with a safety knife and reflex hammer. Designed to attach directly to the handle of most 7-1/4″ shears, it provides a quick means of cutting through loose material and gear in order to access wounds.

Designed by Naval Special Warfare Corpsmen, Rip Shears are Made in the USA and crafted from fiberglass-reinforced nylon that can be autoclaved up to 270 deg F. Additionally, the blades are 440A stainless steel and are treated with a special DLC tungsten coating for increased lubricity. In fact, the coating will extend the life of the blades 4-5 times normal stainless steel. The design is simple and safe to clean with your fingers as well as replace blades. In fact, when you finally do need to change the blades, they are designed in such a manner that they are impossible to install incorrectly.

Rip Shears are offered in three models. The RS-1 is the Ripper unit by itself for installation on your current EMT shears. The RS-2 model combines the Ripper with EMT shears and the RS-3 or “Fifrefly” version is a Ripper featuring a glow in the dark material for civilian EMTs and flight medics.

A lot of folks are carrying hook knives to cut through webbing but they can be ineffective if the material is slack. With Rip Shears the cutting stroke is a pulling motion, offering a great deal of strength and control which can help to avoid further injuries. Rip Shears have been used on boots, leather jackets, and rigger belts. In fact, this video will give you a great idea of how well it works.

In fact, I had the chance to try them out myself and I am duly impressed. To get yours visit their distributor page www.ripshears.com and be sure to look around while you are there.

I recall seeing a torch somewhere (prolly in the torch thread) that was targeted at the medics what with the various types of light it put out. Twas most interesting.

[edit] - ah here it is (o: http://www.w54.biz/showthread.php?95...ll=1#post10332

Via Soldier Systems blog.............

Care Center MD

April 28th, 2011

ADS’s Team of Medical SMEs has been working with industry to introduce new capabilities. Their latest project is the Cardiac Science’s Care Center MD paired with a Hewlett Packard Slate 500 PC Tablet making it the first the first truly expeditionary 12 lead ECG monitor kit.

The CCMD kit provides cardiac diagnostic information to deployed field units. Until now, this level of care was limited to robust medical treatment facilities and large deck Navy vessels due to the lack of portability of the ECG machine. The CCMD software program can deliver a preliminary diagnosis with multiple reach back options for immediate Medical Officer concurrence. The CCMD kit provides in the field diagnostic information to rule out cardiac related chest pain vs non-cardiac related chest pain, saving lives and potentially saving thousands of dollars by avoiding unnecessary MEDEVACS.

It is easy to use and accurate, requiring basic training and features an easy-to-read layout with a full display of key patient and test data. For example, the its unique at-a-glance indication of electrode contact quality verifies patient hookup prior to testing. Also, single-button navigation for all modalities simplifies workflow with fast access to advanced display and analysis tools with just the click of a mouse. The device does the work for you, with sophisticated analysis software extensively tested against a variety of industry standard databases for optimum performance. The system’s HP Slate 500 comes preloaded with all required CCMD software and Windows 7.

The kit includes:
    1 CCMD system
    1 lead connection set
    1 pack of ECG pads enough for ten patients
    1 HP Slate 500 preloaded
    1 HP Slate 500 docking/charging station
    1 HP Stylus pen
    1 Pelican storage container

The CCMD will be on display in the medical section at Warrior Expo West. Be sure to get a full briefing and try it out. It is going to change deployed cardiac care.

www.adsinc.com/cardiac-science

Oral IV

June 17th, 2011 | Product Announcement | Posted by Stickman

Gun? Check. Watch? Check. Oral IV? What the hell….?

A few months ago we had a chance to talk with Kino Davis about new products from Warrior Wound Care. Warrior Wound Care has a new product called ORAL IV, and it is something that was of immediate interest to me both on a professional and personal level. ORAL IV is a rapid hydration fluid which comes in a 1/2 ounce plastic ampule with a twist off top which can be ingested directly, or mixed with other fluids. Since there is no real taste to it, I drink it directly without mixing.

Warrior Wound Care also has a new Wound Bandage which runs an low electrical charge through the bandage promoting faster healing, and you can look forward to an upcoming article on how well that works right here at Military Times/ Gear Scout.

Warrior Wound Care Oral IV is a concept that I liked from the first time I heard about it. I’ll be the first to admit that I need to drink more fluids and stay hydrated better, I was stunned when a nurse advised me coffee wasn’t the all powerful gift from God. You would think she had never deal with troops and cops before. The hydration idea of drinking a certain amount of water each hour is great, and I think its wonderful for those people who sit at a desk to be able to use the restroom 47 times a day. However, for those of us that are actually working and don’t have that opportunity, its a different story. I work as a city cop in a district where its call to call all shift, and the luxury that others are afforded typically aren’t there for me. Drink a lot of fluids, and you’ve got problems.

The flip side to this is that wearing body armor all the time means we are sweating more than the guys who kick back in shorts and short sleeve shirts (kind of like the guys who are outside the wire vs the guys who aren’t, or who don’t even deploy). I can feel when I’m getting dehydrated, my body doesn’t feel right, I’m not as brilliantly sarcastic as usual, my skin is dry, calf muscles cramp, and then the headaches/ nausea start. From there its downhill because drinking water isn’t helping. My body just isn’t taking the water and absorbing it effectively at that point, or at least not fast enough to make a difference.

With the above in mind, I received samples of Oral IV and decided to wait until I reached one of those days that it was pretty bad, and that I dehydrated to the point of headaches and nausea. Once I did, I popped the top and drank it directly. I had been told that persons reported results in 30-60 seconds, but with my usual distrust, I figured I would be lucky if it worked at all for me. In under a minute my headache was gone, and I felt good to go. Not just the headache, but everything else about me felt good again. Dehydration is a nasty beast, and Kino pointed out to me that Oral IV was allowing the body to absorb the fluid already in my body to rehydrate.

The website has a nice picture which shows blood cells clumping together when dehydrated, and explains the lack of ability to absorb when in this condition. I’m not sure of the complete medical explanation, but its there for those who want to read it. What I do know is that I’ve used it twice, and its been extremely effective both times. I know that I need to push fluids better, but the fact is I don’t always get the chance.

We have some additional ORAL IV that we are going to be using with a runner, and some other people for extended workouts. Once that is done, we’ll write something else up and get you the info based on their results as well as mine.

*** Below are the FAQs from the Warrior Wound Care website. ***

What is ORAL IV? ORAL IV is an Oral Rehydration solution that provides the critical electrolytes your body needs and nothing else; ORAL IV does not contain any sugars or stimulants. It can be consumed directly of added to 16 ounces of water or other liquids.

Why is ORAL IV better than other Oral Hydration solutions? The minerals in ORAL IV are not compounded, they do not have to be digested or broken down and are absorbed directly upon contact with all mucous membranes. The actual particle size of the mineral ions is much smaller than other products, and they have a more powerful electrical charge… this allows them to pass freely through cellular membranes without requiring cellular energy.

What is in ORAL IV? ORAL IV is 11 minerals; copper, iodine, manganese, zinc, potassium, cobalt, sodium, selenium, chromium, silica, and boron in purified water. Nothing more.

Is ORAL IV approved by the FDA? ORAL IV is considered a dietary supplement, there is no approval process from the US Food and Drug Administration for dietary supplements. There are of course requirements that the manufacturer ensure the supplement is safe and that any claims made are factual. ORAL IV strictly adheres to these requirements and is completely safe.

http://www.warriorwoundcare.com/

POC – kino@warriorwoundcare.com

My gut instinct is that the Oral IV is a croc. The thing that makes a difference to whether or not a solution will rehydrate you is the salt content. Isotonic solutions contains about 50 mmol/L Na+. Anything less than that and the body simply will not absorb the water therein and it passes straight through your gut. Sports drinks contain up to 20 mmol/L Na+ which means that they'll only rehydrate you a little better than water, and will still leave you about 2% dehydrated even if your chugging it down like your life depends on it. The reason these drinks don't contain more sodium is really simple: it makes it taste like sea water. And nobody has ever worked out a way around that. As such, if this stuff can be consumed without it tasting like anything we know straight off the bat that it doesn't contain nearly enough Na+ and therefore by definition won't actually do what it says in the blurb. Which makes it an expensive way of carrying around a few extra Oz of water.
    Coincidentally, I attended a briefing by the ADF's senior Sports Physician on this subject last week, which is why I'm pretty confident about this.

I might fling this back at them then at Gearscout's Milcom blog..........see what reaction we get from the manufacturer?

The manufacturer will probably spin a whole heap of crap. Which I could tear apart given about 10 minutes, but the methodology will only be understood by people with a background in either medicine or epidemiology.
    But let me put it really simply: if this worked it would be used in literally every Emergency Department in the world. Because dehydration isn't a phenomena restricted to the military, and rehydrating people without having to put a cannula into them to do it intravenously is one of the holy grails of emergency medicine. That this hasn't been widely adopted tells you something very compelling about whether or not it actually works.

No response from the Manufacturer yet but a fellow correspondent wrote this:

Marc Says:
    June 19th, 2011 at 07:28
    Anyone with a life sciences background can tell you that this is a scam. Isotonic water will rehydrate you just fine. The part where they say a higher charge will allow the ions to pass cell membranes more easily is an outright lie. The opposite is true since cell membranes are mostly made of apolar lipids. Don’t waste your money on this.
    Another response asked about the watch in the image above!!!

Only ONE person has said anything positive about it having used it once.............

This guy doesn't say it BUT he's Owner/Part-owner of the company pushing this............strikes me as a typical bully-boy, pompous-ass response from an arrogant dick pushing his own agenda........then again I may be wrong..............NOT!

DrAnthonyGBeck Says:

June 19th, 2011 at 13:11

As with any new innovation comes debate. As experienced by countless examples in decades of military and law enforcement weapon and gear development. There has always been detractors. Those who by their very wiring are stuck in a comfort zone having this reflex reaction of naysaying. Only to have themselves converted by operators in the field who did the correct application of evaluation by field testing.

Debate should always be welcomed. However, I would suppose that would be better said as educated debate. Surely, not just jaded statements based on skepticism or quoting some other supposed authority.

In understanding ORAL IV, one must keep in mind that it is shallow thinking to assume that the 11, again that is “eleven” separate ions in ORAL IV is somehow able to be called “saline”. ORAL IV is far more than Sodium chlorine dissolved in water and is far more than traditional ORS.

The product write up above is obviously for introduction purposes not a prose for the establishment of the science.

It is absolutely erroneous to say that what makes the difference to whether or not a solution will rehydrate you is the salt content. Taking a look at actually medical application in every hospital around the world proves that ignorant. So the “military doctor friend” being quoted is sadly devoid of valid intel.

To properly understand rehydration in the first place one must educate themselves on the differences between Osmolarity vs. Tonicty and Osmolarity vs. Osmolality. Each of these areas is effected by other laws such as Gibbs-Donnan Equilibrium, Starling’s forces, and Debye–Hückel limiting law.

With all due respect, a “background in life sciences” being a qualifier of being able to state something is a scam is like saying anyone who has a “background in shooting firearms” is qualified to teach urban warfare force-on-force tactics. I suggest the poster who thinks that its an outright lie, that altered charged ions do not have different effects on cell membrane transports should become familiar with the laws I mentioned above.

It is not suggested that ORAL IV replaces the need for overall volume of fluids. Its accolades are seated in the effect ORAL IV has on the rapidity of rehydration, how fluids are dispersed in the organs of the body, and how water metabolism is effected. It simply supports efficiency of fluid characteristics at the cellular level.

It is embarrassing obtuse of a mind set to think that a new innovation that one has not even field tested themselves is to be categorically discarded

That's almost exactly the same argument used by the makers of sports drinks for 20+ years to argue their case. No well conducted RCT yet has demonstrated the claims that they've used to sell their product. Which is why better men than I (sports physcians) tend to form the opinion that sports drinks are really just a more palatable way to drink water rather than having any intrinsic value. And why the ADF (amongst other defence forces) does not recommend their use[1].
    But herein lies a point: until such time as this is tested one cannot categorically say whether or not it has merit. The producer is indeed right (to a point) that the interaction of multiple processes are likely to contribute to the cellular utilization of water [2][3]. Any drug which goes onto the market is required to pass through a three phase acceptance process[4] in order to establish it's safety and efficacy. Because until trials are done (and I mean properly conducted clinical trials adequately powered to demonstrate the efficacy of a drug with a suitable control [placebo or otherwise] as a comparator) we actually never can say whether or not a drug works as we think it should[5].
    Oral IV has not been examined in a peer reviewed scientific publication[6]. Until such time as it has I stand by my comment 'my gut instinct is that Oral IV is a croc': i.e. my understanding of the current state of the literature and the research (and the basic clinical sciences) would suggest that it would not do what it purports to do, but I am unaware of any compelling evidence one way or the other. To the best of my knowledge (and as far as I am aware the ADF's senior Sports Physician too) no verifiable scientific study has been conducted on this substance and published in a peer viewed journal. Therefor I feel entierly justified in dismissing it as a treatment option until such time as the company producing it actually does the leg work to get a trial off the ground. It is not on us to prove that their substance doesn't work, it's on them to prove that it does. That's how modern medicine works[7].

Oh yes, and just as a point to consider, if you were actually to fully analyze a glass of tap water you'd find a damn sight more than just elven distinct varieties of ions floating around in there.

----------------------------
    [1] NB: The ADF also doesn't discourage it. But it will not use taxpayer money to pay for something which it cannot demonstrate to have any benefit.
    [2] Though with the benefit of a background in epidemiology I would like to point out that well conducted and adequately powered studies correlate the effect most closely with the Na+ concentration, so although it may not be the only contributor it is certainly the most important contributor.
    [3] Semantic point: rehydration is taken by most medical doctors to refer to plasma volume as opposed to cellular hydration. It's possible that this is an Australian definition though.
    [4] Phase I tests in animals (to see if it is safe in mammals). Phase II tests in humans (checking that the drug is safe). Phase III determining if it actually works.
    [5] There are plenty of examples in the literature of drugs which people think should work based on a scientific theory which don't work once you actually use them in people. All of the trials of HIV vaccines, for instance.
    [6] Just did the search of PubMed myself, didn't find a damn thing. Though if this substance has a generic name (rather than proprietary) I might have to redo the search.
    [7] The alternative is that we don't test out new drugs or procedures before we use them on patients (as opposed to developing them through a process of clinical trials). You do not want us to do this.

+ Reply to Thread