+ Reply to Thread
Page 87 of 88
FirstFirst ... 37 77 85 86 87 88 LastLast
Results 861 to 870 of 871

Thread: Australian Army 2011 onwards

  1. #861

    SF light helo is probably something like 6 airframes and single engined. Cost should be nothing -- about 3 x F35 engines worth. As in, inconsequential.

    Still, regardless of cost, it always feels like there is a part of defence trying desperately to stop new capability just in case a politician tries to use it. Still a threat.

  2. #862

    Quote Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
    SF light helo is probably something like 6 airframes and single engined. Cost should be nothing -- about 3 x F35 engines worth. As in, inconsequential.

    Still, regardless of cost, it always feels like there is a part of defence trying desperately to stop new capability just in case a politician tries to use it. Still a threat.
    The WP mentioned a deployment of 3-4 light SF helos at a time, so the fleet would have to be larger than 6. Boeing for instance proposed 15x UH-1Y for that project, so they must have some clue about indicative numbers.
    In a low speed post-merge manoeuvring fight, with a high off-boresight 4th generation missile and Helmet Mounted Display, the Super Hornet will be a very difficult opponent for any current Russian fighter, even the Su-27/30

  3. #863

    Maybe. But my guess is that a single such deployment is all that our modest, QR SF numbers could ever really support. If the capability managers agree, the numbers of helos required are modest. We are talking 2-3 helos in a C-17 and prob no more than 2 C-17 reasonably available for ready quick reaction stuff like this. Multiple deployments on this scale doesn't seem likely in such a timeframe. And most light choppers will be limited to 2 per C-17. Few will fit 3. On that basis, 6-8 airframes are all that are really needed (depot level maintenance on light choppers doesn't take long to turn around).

    Remember I'm just talking littlebirds or their equivalents here. The rest of the regmt could easily be 20 (larger) airframes. Boeing might have had an eye on that when UH-1Y proposed.

  4. #864

    Quote Originally Posted by ADMk2 View Post
    Not sure the Viper / UH-1Y solution makes sense in that context. It would just take us back to the past where we have 9 or so separate, small fleets of completely different helo types.

    The differences between MH-60R, MH-60S and UH-60M aren't great in terms of engines, drivetrains and airframes and with AH-64 using largely the same engines, I think the support aspect benefit leans towards this combination.

    I don't see much (if any) operational advantage in adding Venom / Viper into this mix. I also wouldn't be suprised if SOCOMD's light helo project 'rolls into' the UH-60M purchase as a trade-off, for buying additional rotary capability above the MRH-90 capability, so what role a UH-1Y would then have, I am not certain...
    Probably not, although the marinisation out of the box for the UH-1Y is a benefit that apparently the MRH-90 is not delivering all that well (another of Airbus's promises consigned to the rubbish bin)

    I really think we made a monumental cock up when we went MRH-90. We should have standardised on the Black Hawk family derivatives, with latest iterations of the Black Hawk, Sierra, Romeo and Pave Hawk derivation, with Chinook for lifting stuff the others wont.

    The Viper is probably a better buy for the ADF as the Tiger can't really go to sea for very long and the Apache is clearly not marinised. The Brit's Apaches were a one-off home brew modified version that no one else uses. Viper goes to sea on delivery and shares engines with the Navy's SeaHawk Romeo fleet.
    Unicorn

    It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
    It is by the juice of sapho that thoughts acquire speed,
    the lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning.
    It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

  5. #865

    Quote Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
    Maybe. But my guess is that a single such deployment is all that our modest, QR SF numbers could ever really support. If the capability managers agree, the numbers of helos required are modest. We are talking 2-3 helos in a C-17 and prob no more than 2 C-17 reasonably available for ready quick reaction stuff like this. Multiple deployments on this scale doesn't seem likely in such a timeframe. And most light choppers will be limited to 2 per C-17. Few will fit 3. On that basis, 6-8 airframes are all that are really needed (depot level maintenance on light choppers doesn't take long to turn around).

    Remember I'm just talking littlebirds or their equivalents here. The rest of the regmt could easily be 20 (larger) airframes. Boeing might have had an eye on that when UH-1Y proposed.
    Except that the 2-3BAUD allocated in the DWP suggest quite a few "light" helo's, unless this is also linked to addressing medium lift concerns.

  6. #866

    Quote Originally Posted by Smackhawk View Post
    Except that the 2-3BAUD allocated in the DWP suggest quite a few "light" helo's, unless this is also linked to addressing medium lift concerns.
    Either that or someone read the requirement wrong and thought they needed to buy the C-17's as well.

  7. #867

    The supposed 'bands' of funding in the DCPs were made deliberately broad and vague a while back (2009?) to stop vendors bidding to price. They long since stopped making any sense to me. I just don't trust the number-- and more to the point, the capability planners will surely stop spending when the requirement is met.

  8. #868

    NIOA joins Rheinmetall Land 400 team

    03 May 2017



    Rheinmetall Defence Australia has chosen Brisbane-based NIOA as the company’s key supplier of ammunition and armament services for its Land 400 Phase 2 offer to the Commonwealth.

    Rheinmetall's Boxer CRV vehicles are currently being tested in Australia as part of the Risk Mitigation Activity for the project.

    Both NIOA and Rhgeinmetall have enjoyed a commercial partnership for twenty years, with Rheinmetall's Weapons and Munitions arm (RWM) having worked with NIOA to deliver solutions for the ADF and state and federal police forces.

    For example in 2015, NIOA observed Rheinmetall's contract to supply the German Army with 40mm x 53 airburst ammunition keenly, noting the ammunition's suitability for NIOA's offering for project Land 40 Ph2, the GD MK47 40mm Automatic Grenade Launcher.

    “Working side by side on our Land 400 Phase 2 offer represents a natural next step in the relationship between Rheinmetall and NIOA,” said Rheinmetall Defence Australia Managing Director Andrew Fletcher.

    The Boxer CRV's armament comprises a Mauser 30mm or 35mm cannon mounted in the Lance turret with a 7.62mm coaxial machine gun. The turret system also comes with a 66mm or 76mm smoke/obscurant grenade launcher and may also be equipped with either dual Spike LR or Javelin anti-tank missiles.

  9. #869

    Seems like the ducks are lining up in a row for Boxer...

    Excellent.
    In a low speed post-merge manoeuvring fight, with a high off-boresight 4th generation missile and Helmet Mounted Display, the Super Hornet will be a very difficult opponent for any current Russian fighter, even the Su-27/30

  10. #870

    Australia tackling the improvised threat

    03rd May 2017 - 7:30

    by The Shephard News Team

    The Australian Department of Defence (DoD) has announced a $10 million investment programme inviting researchers to develop innovative solutions to defeat improvised threats.

    The availability of low-cost, sophisticated technology is enabling adversaries to deploy a diverse and ever-evolving range of improvised threats. Defeating this threat will require multi-disciplinary research to be funded under this programme.

    The challenge is being taken up as part of the government's $730 million Next Generation Technologies Fund. Researchers are being tasked with developing a demonstrator that will detect and respond effectively to these threats without putting defence personnel or civilians in harm's way.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

  • Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts