+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 78
1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Wheeled Armoured Vehicles Part Deux

Wheeled Armoured Vehicles Part Deux

Pindad Delivers 33 Panzers APC-2 6X6 to the Indonesian Ministry of Defense

14:56 GMT, January 27, 2010 In mid January 2010, Indonesia's Pindad delivered 33 Panzers APC-2 6x6 to the Indonesian Ministry of Defense. The ceremony took place at PT. Pindad Jl. Jend. Gatot Subroto, Bandung is a submission to the stage-3. Present on this occasion, Minister for State Owned Enterprises Mustafa Abubakar, Minister of Defense Purnomo Yusgiantoro and Minister of Research and Technology Suharna Surapranata and Director General of Defense Facilities, Ministry of Defense Eris Herryanto.

With submission of 33 Panzers, the total number that have been submitted to the Ministry of Defense is 93 units from 150 units APC-2 6x6 and 4 units reconnaissance of the Ministry of Defense orders, while the remaining 61 units with a contract value of Rp. 473 billion scheduled to be completed in 2010. From the 33 units submitted, 13 units will use military forces for peace missions in Lebanon.

In his speech the Minister of Defense, Yusgiantoro affirmed, the government remains supportive and totally committed in raising the domestic defense industry that will reflect the Indonesian National Army and a strong national defense. Year 2010 is the year of resurrection for the defense industry and toward independence in the process of revitalization of the defense industry needs to bear the cost and not as easy as turning the palm of the hand.

Similar submitted by the Minister for State Owned Enterprises Mustafa Abubakar, the existence of financing constraints in developing a state-owned defense industries, especially the defense budget constraints in the state budget, for domestic procurement of the main tools of weapons systems and other issues faced by the large dependence on the Ministry of Defense.

Since the beginning of Pindad orders 150 units of Panzer APC-2 6x6 and 4 types of reconnaissance of the Ministry of Defense in 2008, Pindad committed to completing the order in accordance with the agreed contract, irrespective of the budget problems. President Director of Pindad Adik A. Soedarsono expects the government to help strategic industries such as Pindad to realize some of the initial payment for each purchase that will help resolution of the main tools of weapons systems procurement program on time.

Besides provision of the main tools of weapons systems for domestic needs, Pindad is now preparing to purchase plans 32 Panzer Pindad by Malaysia that will be used by the Malaysian peacekeepers soldiers in Lebanon as well as opportunities Panzer orders of Nepal. This may be the era of the rise of the defense industry forward, hopefully.

defpro.news

Company or Organisation Portrait:

PT. PINDAD is an Indonesian manufacturing industry specializing in military and commercial products. It's activities cover design, development, engineering and fabrication as well as maintenance.

Founded in 1808 as military equipment workshop in Surabaya under the name of Artillerie Constructie Winkel (ACW), this workshop expanded into a factory and after it had undergone same name change, it moved to Bandung in 1923.

The Dutch handed over the factory to Indonesian Goverment on April 29, 1950. Then the said factory was officially named Pabrik Senjata dan Munisi (PSM), means weapon and ammunition factory, and located in where PT. PINDAD lies now.

Since then PT. PINDAD had change into an industry of military tools and equipment under the management of Indonesian Army. PT. PINDAD changed it's status into a state owned company called PT. PINDAD (Persero) on April 29, 1983. The agency change into PT. Pakarya Industri (Persero) and then changed again into PT. Bahana Pakarya Industri Strategis (Persero).

In the year of 2002 ste status of PT. PINDAD (Persero) was again changed by the government, and since then the company is under Kementerian BUMN.
    Company or Organisation Contact:
    Head Office
    Tel: (62)(22) 7312073-76
    Fax: (62)(22) 7301222

Pentagon Contract Announcement

(Source: U.S Department of Defense; issued February 16, 2010)

Navistar’s Maxx Pro Dash has been ordered for the Pentagon’s Category I Mine Resistant Ambush Protected vehicle program. (Navistar photo)

Navistar Defense, LLC, Warrenville, Ill., was awarded on Feb. 12 a $751,514,198 firm-fixed-priced delivery order #0014 for the procurement of Category I Mine Resistant Ambush Protected (MRAP) low rate initial production vehicles with engineering change proposal upgrades for enhanced maneuverability.

This order will also be used for the procurement of Category I MRAP vehicles which provide protection of U.S. military personnel supporting Operation Enduring Freedom.

Work will be performed in WestPoint, Miss. and the period of performance is expected to be completed by the end of August 2010. Procurement funds in the amount of $751,514,198 will expire on Sept. 30, 2012. This contract was competitively procured.

The Marine Corps Systems Command, Quantico, Va., is the contracting activity (M67854-07-D-5032 / D.O.0009). (ends)

Navistar Defense Awarded $752 Million Contract for MaxxPro Dash MRAP Vehicles

(Source: Navistar Defense; issued February 16, 2010)

WARRENVILLE, Ill. --- Navistar Defense, LLC today was awarded a contract for $752 million to provide 1,050 enhanced International MaxxPro Dash Mine Resistant Ambush Protected (MRAP) vehicles. Vehicles under the award from the U.S. Marine Corps Systems Command will include the DXM independent suspension solution.

“The threats that our warfighters face continue to change every day and we understand the urgency needed to rapidly engineer and deliver new Dash vehicles to defeat emerging threats,” said Archie Massicotte, president, Navistar Defense. “We are constantly looking at enhancements across our vehicle portfolio to provide warfighters with the most advanced equipment.”

Under the new contract, MaxxPro Dash vehicles will incorporate the DXM independent suspension solution provided by Hendrickson Truck Suspension Systems and AxleTech International. This vehicle upgrade further improves the vehicle’s off-road capabilities, which is vital given Afghanistan’s lack of road infrastructure.

“After conducting an extensive trade study, we selected a no-compromises suspension system for our MaxxPro,” said Massicotte. “The design also minimizes the effort needed to integrate the system onto existing vehicles, which will accelerate the delivery of this important modification should the Army be interested in retrofitting our MaxxPro and 7000 Series fleets.”

Since May 2007, Navistar has received orders for a total of 7,494 MaxxPro MRAP vehicles to help combat improvised explosive devices (IEDs) and other threats. In late 2008, the company modified its design for added mobility and produced the MaxxPro Dash MRAP variant. The addition of an independent suspension solution further improves mobility and is one of several capability insertions that will be incorporated into the next 1,050 MaxxPro Dash units.

Navistar also has provided more than 8,100 International 7000 Series vehicles to the Afghan National Army and Afghan National Police.

Navistar will conduct work at its Garland, Texas, and West Point, Miss., assembly plants. Deliveries will begin in April and will be completed by the summer of 2010. Parts are not included in the contract.

Navistar International Corporation is a holding company whose subsidiaries and affiliates produce International brand commercial and military trucks, MaxxForce brand diesel engines, IC Bus brand school and commercial buses, Monaco RV brands of recreational vehicles, and Workhorse brand chassis for motor homes and step vans. It also is a private-label designer and manufacturer of diesel engines for the pickup truck, van and SUV markets.

-ends-

Lockheed Martin Completes Production of Its First Two JLTV Technology Development Vehicles Ahead of Schedule

(Source: Lockheed Martin; issued February 16, 2010)

OWEGO, N.Y. --- Lockheed Martin has completed, ahead of schedule, production of its first two Joint Light Tactical Vehicles (JLTV), both new, six-passenger Infantry Carrier variants. The vehicles will be delivered to the U.S. Army and U.S. Marine Corps for a year-long testing period as part of the Technology Development (TD) phase of the JLTV program.

As part of the 27-month TD contract awarded in October 2008, Lockheed Martin will deliver multiple JLTV variants and trailers to the Army and Marine Corps for the testing program, scheduled to begin in April of this year. The testing will be conducted primarily at Aberdeen Test Center, MD, and Yuma Test Center in Yuma, AZ.

"Successfully completing production of our first two TD vehicles ahead of schedule is a major achievement for our program," said Steve Ramsey, vice president of Ground Vehicles at Lockheed Martin. "The team's tireless efforts to design, assemble and test our previous six operational prototypes culminated in the production of technology development vehicles that are mature, low-risk and thoroughly tested."

In addition to the TD vehicles, the Lockheed Martin JLTV team has produced multiple test vehicles. The team's current JLTV family of vehicles includes five prototypes, all of which are in system test and have accumulated more than 70,000 combined miles: -- The original Infantry Carrier JLTV Category B model, designed for troop transportation;
    -- The Utility Vehicle Light Category C model, designed with a focus on payload;
    -- The General Purpose Mobility Category A model, designed for logistical support;
    -- The second variant of the Utility Vehicle Light Category C model; and
    -- The Command and Control on the Move Category B model. This vehicle is scheduled to make its public debut at the Association of the United States Army Winter Symposium in February 2010.

"We are confident that we'll continue to remain on schedule and deliver a high-quality family of vehicles that meet all transportability requirements by air, land and sea," Ramsey added. "We look forward to final delivery to the U.S. Army and Marine Corps this spring and having our vehicles rigorously tested."

The Lockheed Martin-led JLTV Team includes leaders in their respective fields. Lockheed Martin serves as the prime contractor and design agent, providing advanced systems, systems engineering, platform and components integration, design expertise, and program and supply chain management. The BAE Systems Global Tactical Systems and Security & Survivability Systems businesses are providing production facilities for high volume assembly, and advanced armor solutions for protection. Alcoa Defense is supplying materials experience, design services and aluminum components that give the vehicle its structural strength at reduced weight. JWF Defense Systems is offering state-of-the-art machining and cost-effective fabrication.

Headquartered in Bethesda, Md., Lockheed Martin is a global security company that employs about 140,000 people worldwide and is principally engaged in the research, design, development, manufacture, integration and sustainment of advanced technology systems, products and services. The Corporation reported 2009 sales of $45.2 billion.

-ends-
    Last edited by buglerbilly; 18-02-10 at 09:31 AM.

German army testing new equipment at Woomera

Kim Wheatley From: The Advertiser February 17, 2010 8:21PM

A Boxer armoured transport vehicle (also known as MRAV / Multi Role Armoured Vehicle) being tested at Woomera.
    Source: The Advertiser
    THE German Army has invaded Outback South Australia.

But it's a friendly force from the European powerhouse, which is testing the breaking point of new armaments against the backdrop of the harsh and hot conditions of the Woomera Prohibited Area.

More than 100 soldiers are conducting the field trials - including live firing - from the Boxer armoured vehicle and the Weisel reconnaissance vehicle.

The Mikado mini-unmanned aerial vehicle, which features an infrared camera for surveillance, is also being put through its paces.

The choice of Australia as a testing ground reflects the "close political, military and strategic co-operation" between the two countries, which has been reflected most recently in the war on terrorism in Afghanistan.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
    .End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
    "Australia, from a German perspective, is the only place possible for the climatic and near-operational conditions," German army spokesman Lieutenant Colonel Stefan Heydt said.

"We are fighting in Afghanistan and we need to test this equipment to ensure our personnel are safe on the ground."

The trials are scheduled to begin on the weekend and end in early March, when the company will relocate to Townsville to test the equipment in hot, humid conditions.

Ironically, the decision to build the Woomera rocket range in 1947 was partially as a consequence of German rocket attacks on Britain during World War II.

But six decades on, this German invasion is creating a mini-economic boom for the town.

The local hotel-motel, the Eldo Hotel, is expecting 117 German soldiers and civilians.

"The Germans are easy because they like meat and potatoes which we have lots of," manager Phil Young said.

"It's great for us - obviously they're on tight timelines but it's still good for the town."

The largest plane in the world, the Soviet-built Antonov, was used to transport the vehicles.

Cheers

New 'MaxxPro Dash' MRAP to Get Independent Suspension

Navistar Defense was awarded a $752 million contract to produce 1,050 enhanced 'MaxxPro Dash' Mine Resistant Ambush Protected (MRAP) vehicles. Unlike previous version of the MRAP, the new models of the lighter 'Dash' will be fitted with DXM independent suspension systems provided Hendrickson Truck Suspension Systems and AxleTech International. This vehicle upgrade further improves the vehicle’s off-road capabilities, which is vital given Afghanistan’s lack of road infrastructure. Navistar will conduct work at its Garland, Texas, and West Point, Miss., assembly plants. Deliveries will begin in April and will be completed by the summer of 2010. Parts are not included in the contract.

The new MaxxPro Dash is fitted with the DXM suspension system, provided by Hendrickson Truck Suspension Systems and AxleTech International. Photo: Navistar Defense.

“After conducting an extensive trade study, we selected a no-compromises suspension system for our MaxxPro,” said Archie Massicotte, president, Navistar Defense. “The design also minimizes the effort needed to integrate the system onto existing vehicles, which will accelerate the delivery of this important modification should the Army be interested in retrofitting our MaxxPro and 7000 Series fleets.”

Since May 2007, Navistar has received orders for a total of 7,494 MaxxPro MRAP vehicles to help combat improvised explosive devices (IEDs) and other threats. In late 2008, the company modified its design for added mobility and produced the MaxxPro Dash MRAP variant. The addition of an independent suspension solution further improves mobility and is one of several capability insertions that will be incorporated into the next 1,050 MaxxPro Dash units.

Navistar also has provided more than 8,100 International 7000 Series vehicles to the Afghan National Army and Afghan National Police.

Copyright 2010 - Defense Update, Online Holdings International.

Quote Originally Posted by Exsandgroper View Post
    Kim Wheatley From: The Advertiser February 17, 2010 8:21PM

A Boxer armoured transport vehicle (also known as MRAV / Multi Role Armoured Vehicle) being tested at Woomera.
    Source: The Advertiser
    THE German Army has invaded Outback South Australia.

But it's a friendly force from the European powerhouse, which is testing the breaking point of new armaments against the backdrop of the harsh and hot conditions of the Woomera Prohibited Area.

More than 100 soldiers are conducting the field trials - including live firing - from the Boxer armoured vehicle and the Weisel reconnaissance vehicle.

The Mikado mini-unmanned aerial vehicle, which features an infrared camera for surveillance, is also being put through its paces.

The choice of Australia as a testing ground reflects the "close political, military and strategic co-operation" between the two countries, which has been reflected most recently in the war on terrorism in Afghanistan.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
    .End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
    "Australia, from a German perspective, is the only place possible for the climatic and near-operational conditions," German army spokesman Lieutenant Colonel Stefan Heydt said.

"We are fighting in Afghanistan and we need to test this equipment to ensure our personnel are safe on the ground."

The trials are scheduled to begin on the weekend and end in early March, when the company will relocate to Townsville to test the equipment in hot, humid conditions.

Ironically, the decision to build the Woomera rocket range in 1947 was partially as a consequence of German rocket attacks on Britain during World War II.

But six decades on, this German invasion is creating a mini-economic boom for the town.

The local hotel-motel, the Eldo Hotel, is expecting 117 German soldiers and civilians.

"The Germans are easy because they like meat and potatoes which we have lots of," manager Phil Young said.

"It's great for us - obviously they're on tight timelines but it's still good for the town."

The largest plane in the world, the Soviet-built Antonov, was used to transport the vehicles.

Cheers
    I got the job today of running the range shoot for when these vehicles come up to Townsville. As long as I get a drive in the Boxer and Wiesel I'll be happy.

I should invite my Grandfather along for old time's sake - he's not seen a German armoured vehicle shooting for about 70 years after all.
    Last edited by Raven22; 18-02-10 at 07:26 AM.

Dare I say GET SOME PICS!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by buglerbilly View Post
    Dare I say GET SOME PICS!!!!
    I just say GET SOME because I spend too much time with an ex-Marine.

Quote Originally Posted by JimWH View Post
    I just say GET SOME because I spend too much time with an ex-Marine.
    Errrr I don't think the meanings are quite the same Jim................

Photo above: The Mine Protected Vehicle developed by Tata Motors. Photo: Tata Motors.

Three Indian Teams Unveil Mine Protected Vehicles, Anticipating a Growing Local Market for Armored Vehicles

Several teams headed by Indian largest vehicle manufacturers Tata Motors, Ashok Leyland and Mahindra and Mahindra are introducing Mine Protected Vehicle in anticipation of Indian Ministry of Defense procurement of hundreds of new mine protected vehicles. The growing market for such vehicles is evolving around the military and security forces need to support growing tension in the North East, North West, and Anti-Naxal internal security operations.

Defence Land Systems India, a joint venture between the Indian company Mahindra and Mahindra and global defense manufacturer BAE Systems, introduced the new Mine Protected Vehicle India (MPV-I). The company, a Joint Venture between BAE Systems and Mahindra has based its design on BAE System's RG family of vehicles, which relates back to the successful family of mine protected vehicles from South Africa. The 6x6 MPV-I is based on BAE Systems’ three decades of protection experience, that resulted in the highly successful RG 31, which has a proven track record and is currently in service with US, Canadian, UAE and a number of other forces including the UN. The MPV-I has been developed for the counter insurgency and anti-Naxal operations of Indian armed and paramilitary forces. The vehicle was recently tested and survived a blast in which 14 kg of explosives were used. The MPV-I can accommodate 18 personnel, capable of transporting a complete operational team of army or police forces involved in anti-terrorist and anti-Naxal operations.

"With enhanced protection technologies, the new vehicle provides the highest levels of crew protection available in India today." Said Brig Khutub Hai, Mahindra Defence Systems (MDS) chief executive. “The MPV-I will be our first new product offering from the joint venture company." The MPV-I will be manufactured at the Defense Land Systems, India plant at Prithla near Faridabad. "The high power to weight ratio and very high torque makes the vehicle suitable for Indian terrain, especially the mountainous region of Jammu and Kashmir and the rough topography of the Naxal dominated areas." He added.

Ashok Leyland has also introduced a version of the Mine Protected Vehicle, based on its Stallion 4x4 armored car. For this development Ashok Leyland has teamed with the South African company Paramount Group. This multipurpose, all-terrain vehicle offers high mobility, high protection and multi-mission capabilities, to Troop Carriers, Armored Personnel Carriers, Command Vehicles, Border Patrols, Riot Control, Internal Security and Counter Terrorism. The MPV-I has a power-to-weight ratio of 13.5 kW/Ton, accelerating the vehicle to a maximum road speed of 90 Km/hr, and a road range exceeding 1000 kilometers without refueling. The basic configuration offers STANAG level 1 protection (7.62 SLR Ball, 5.56 INSAS and 7.62 AK-47/56 Rifle) with mine blast protection exceeding STANAG 4569 level 4, safely absorbing blasts of 14 kg TNT under hull and triple anti tank mine protection - 21 kg TNT under wheels. Extra features includes add-on armor kits, run flat tires inserts, roof mounted air conditioners, radios and intercom systems, 8 ton winch, GPS Navigation, roof mounted weapon stations and gun mounts, gun ports.

“Our entry into armored vehicles is in answer to an ever-increasing demand from the Armed Forces for well-engineered, high-mobility, high protection, tactical vehicles that can be used in counter-insurgency and counter-terrorist operations,” said Mr. Vinod K Dasari, Chief Operating Officer and Whole Time Director, Ashok Leyland.

Tata Motor is also entering the MPV arena - the new Mine Protected Vehicle from TATA is based on a modular design, implementing a V shaped hull for blast protection. The vehicle is designed for counter-insurgency operations. In addition to mine-and blast protection, the hull is protected against small arms to a NIJ Level 3BP. The roof mounted turret mounts a light or heavy machine gun, covering uninterrupted 360 degrees, two roof hatches to troops for observation and counterfire. In addition, 9 firing ports offer firing from within the vehicle. The air conditioned cabin can be configured to accommodate 8 or 12 soldiers, or to be tailored for mission-specific roles such as command, or medical evacuation. The vehicle is powered by a 245 PS diesel engine, and is capable of a top speed of 100 kmh, negotiating gradient of 60%. The vehicle has 860 mm ground clearance and can ford of 1000 mm water obstacles without preparation. Besides the Army, Tata Motors will also offer the vehicle to paramilitary and police forces.

According to P.M. Telang, Managing Director (India Operations) of Tata Motors, TATA's aim is to 'participate in the entire defense value chain', among this, the manufacturing of tactical vehicles and equipment, in addition to upgrades and life extension of systems.

In addition to the MPV, Tata is also offering a 8x8 wheeled Weapon Platform, designed to accommodate heavy loads such as air defense systems, rockets or artillery guns, surveillance equipment, communications shelters etc. With ground clearance of 400 mm, compensating bogey suspension and wide wheel tracks, the truck offers impressive cross country mobility, including fordability of 1.2 m water obstacles and trench crossing ability of 2 meters. The tiltable cabin is compatible with add-on armor and NBC protection. The vehicle is powered by a 380/420 PS engine.

Another military vehicle unveiled by Tata is the Light Specialist Vehicle (LSV), configurable for reconnaissance missions, counter-insurgency operations or as an ambulance.

The new Armored Stallion. Photo: Ashok Leyland.

Ashok Leyland is showing three new armored vehicles, all based on the proven Stallion platform – the 4x4 wheeled Mine Protected Vehicle, a Multi-Purpose Armored Carrier (MPAC) and an armored bus. MPAC uses the Stallion 4x4 platform upgraded with an armored sleeper cab and a protected load body for cargo into a versatile platform, configurable into a troop carrier, logistics support vehicle, riot control, communication vehicles, command post or ambulance.. The cab and load body offers protection against AK-47 Kalashnikov 7.62x 39 mm on both the sleeper cab and load body. Ashok Leyland's new armored bus is also based on the Stallion. It was developed in response to the Indian Army's requirement to transport army personnel and their families throughout insurgency infected areas. The armored bus is designed to offer all round protection against 7.62 x 51 ball (SLR), 5.56 mm INSAS and AK - 47/56 projectiles fired from a distance of 10m. The design features a unique approach to blast protection of a large cabin - the roof-hung floor. The seats in the bus are mounted on a floor which is hung from the roof, mitigating the blast effect, caused by mine or IED explosion under the vehicle. The floor is also covered by spall liners offering additional protection from penetrating fragments.

Photo below: The new Armored bus. Photo: Ashok Leyland

Copyright 2010 - Defense Update, Online Holdings International.

+ Reply to Thread